Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Am I the only one?

This morning around 5:45 when my husband was getting ready for work, I looked around our bedroom at laundry that needed to be washed, laundry that needed to be put away, toys in one corner, dust on the furniture and it got me thinking… when older people talk about having kids and a clean house, was it a different time then when those things were expected? Are they in denial and their house really looked like mine? Or am I just a really bad housekeeper?

I feel like I do a lot. I may not do it all well, but I take care of Ethan and Emmitt and Jay, cook, clean, coupon, grocery shop, attend weekly bible studies, work from home, and more. I found this list and it makes me feel better because I can honestly say I do everything on this list, but how do people do it better? I need more energy. I need to manage my time better (i.e. should be working right now).

I see signs and quotes on Pinterest that say things like “sorry for the mess, kids live here” or whatever (of course I can’t find them now that I’m looking for them) and think “oh good! I’m not the only one!” And then you have to think “hmm… I wonder how bad their house really looks?!” You hope it’s not like Hoarders. And then there are those people who say “I am so sorry for the mess” and you look around and can’t find a single speck of dust. I guess my big question is how do people really, truly live? Think about it, you’ll only know that answer if A. you’re very best friends (Molly) or B. you show up completely unannounced (rude).

However, I did find this gem:
Thanks, Eden! http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/35msdg/ 

 
How do you do it?

2 comments:

eden and david said...

I feel the same way!!!

Tami said...

Ok, here's how I see it... I try to keep the downstairs picked up. We love blankets and snuggling to watch footbal. so keeping the blankets picked up and the pillows on the couch is good. Dust/vacuum - when I have a sudden surge of energy and/or when company is coming over.
Except when I've got all of my scrapbook stuff out (like now), the dining room table gets cluttered with bills. And sometimes the dishes dont get done every night. And I can always close my bedroom door so I keep i clean at my own convenience. :)