Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Aunts

Aunts
These two women are one of the reasons I still have hope for me yet. Meet my dad’s sisters – Aunt Suzie and Aunt Melinda… and their blogs.
Aunt Suzie
Aunt Suzie is…hilarious. Often times she reminds me of Phoebe Buffay from FRIENDS. Always has a smile on her face and tells the funniest stories. In high school, she was the beauty queen. Now, she’s the mother, not just any mother, but a wonderful, couldn’t imagine anyone better mother, to a mentally and physically handicapped daughter, Keshia. She is an elementary school principal, again not just “an” but the best. Her knack for dealing with children is uncanny. Every kid loves Mrs. Mitchell.
She’s the “beautician” of the family. If you ever want an at home perm, color, or haircut, she’s your gal… well, kind of. There have been a few orange, extremely curly hairdos in the past, but she’s gotten better! And make-up!... I’ll never forget the first time I wore blue eyeliner. Of course, it was on my cheek in the shape of a star to celebrate the Cowboys going to the Super Bowl in the 90’s, but anytime I wear a lot of color I think of her.
I do get some of my “skills” from her. She’s the queen of semi-homemade cooking. She taught me how to make my first pie. It was a graham cracker crust and peanut butter and condensed milk and you put it in the freezer and ta-da! you had a pie! Although, we’ve learned over the past couple of years she’s actually a great cook, she just doesn’t desire it, much like me.
Aunt Melinda
I don’t know how many times my dad has called me “Melinda.” I would love to say we’re a lot alike, but ironically, she’s more of the “Suzie Homemaker.” Just read her blog and you’ll see. She’s crafty (her craft room is bigger than our house almost), a great cook, and a handy(wo)man.
Some of my earliest memories are with Aunt Melinda. She watched me a lot before I started school. I would go “grocery shopping” in her kitchen – not fake grocery shopping, but real, take stuff out of the pantry shopping. She was probably really glad when I left. I own a label maker today because of this woman. She had the kind that printed out blue strips with white raised letters… ah, good times. I think she should blog about some of her projects.
Another weird thing that makes us similar is our husbands! They get along so well! Jay thinks Uncle Steve is hilarious because he’s the only one in the family that will make fart jokes.
Unfortunately, I didn’t spend much time with them growing up because we moved away when I was nine. Maybe if I had, I’d be a mixture of them both, aka Superwoman. But I’m glad that I have their blogs now to keep us close. Although, Aunt Suzie, you should write more! Thank you both for being the wonderful, spiritual, inspirational women that you. Love you!
P.S. I have other great aunts and uncles… they just don’t have blogs J and I’m closest to these two.
P.P.S or P.S.S this isn't a very well written piece, but you get the idea.

1 comment:

Aunt Suzie said...

I laughed and cried when I read this!! What a blessing it is to be your aunt!! I love you!!