Sunday, June 12, 2011

Update: Struggling with the “More Monster”

I wanted to update y'all on my struggle with the "More Monster."

Here are the comments I received on Facebook:
Diane: Were you in the singing class Wednesday night? Brent actually talked about this some. Contentment with godliness is great gain. My advice, a thanksgiving book - each day write down 5 things you are thankful for. It makes you appreciate what you have more and not be so interested in what you don't have.
Katie: Craigslist. I know most of the stuff is used, but you can find really good deals on there. Also, I think you'll find once the baby comes that you don't "need" the things you think you do. My advice would be to get the things you need for sure (place for the baby to sleep) and save up money. Then you will know once the baby comes what you really need. I know I got a lot of things I thought I needed with my first baby and then never used it. Hope that helps! And you've got a lot of people to help you out. :) 
Kimberly: I'm totally speaking from experience here...I do NOT recommend racking up a credit card bill for all of the things, now. It will feel good now, but will make you feel worse, in the end. I think Katie's right, certain things you think you need but really don't know until baby gets here...some babies have different temperaments. After having six babies, I have found that some of them have loved their baby swing, others hated it, the same for the bouncy seat. I have never really found that a changing table is a must, either. Had one with one but I found that I ended up using it as catch all more than anything and just did diaper changes on the couch or bed. As far as a coffee table goes, well, I totally understand what you are saying about that but you know, for YEARS we didn't even have one and then finally got one with our furniture suite and after next baby came along, we moved it out of the room. I personally just saw that it gave the baby more room to crawl around, unobstructed, and reduced the amount of head bumps.:-) But, I understand, this is your first baby, and it is SO exciting to shop for baby. I WILL second your idea on the rocking recliner, though, LOVED mine, til we had to get rid of it when we ran out of room.:-) 
Brittany: I agree with Katie you will be surprised at the things you don't need after having Ethan. My must haves were: pack and play, monitor (just the $20, not the fancy video one), rocker/glider in the nursery and papasan baby swing. Braden HATED the bouncer, pacifiers, bottles, etc... You also may find it surprisingly difficult to rock a baby in a recliner (I did). My feet would never reach the ground to actually rock and his face would be alarmingly squished into the back cushion...maybe that's just me though. Don't stockpile too much on diapers, the babies randomly and rapidly change sizes and you'll be left with too many/not enough of sizes. Stockpile coupons and gift cards :-)!
After this long rant, my main advice is to cherish EVERY moment (goes my WAY to fast), hold your baby as much as you want and TRY to relax and enjoy (I still struggle with the last one). You will be surprised how quickly your priorities snap into place when you hold your baby for the first time!

Ashley: Garage sales! I used to never 'like' garage sales and we find things all the time! And, like they said above - you will not need everything they have in the stores! We have hardly bought anything for Leah except diapers, wipes, food. Everything else came from my sisters. It has saved us so much money. You may not have a lot of people to hand down stuff to you, but if you have any close friends or relatives, ask if they have anything they want to get rid off for free or a cheap price!
Krista: We had a glass table, and Johnny did great with it. It met it's demise when we moved and it rolled off the truck and broke. You'll be amazed at how little children actually need! It's mainly the parents that want it. I'm a firm believer in being a good Steward I the money God has greatly blessed us with. If Jay and I don't have the cash for something, we don't buy it... Ever! Oh, and the only thing we ever bought was a bunk bed for our kids, everything was given to us at a shower or a hand me down.

So the conclusion I've come to: I won't worry about the glass coffee table until Ethan starts to walk. I will place the glider in the living room for the first two months because Ethan will sleep in our room at first anyway so I won't need it in the nursery. And, of course, the thanksgiving book was a great idea!

Thanks for the advice!

2 comments:

eden and david said...

Great advice from everyone, and totally agree with all the comments. You realize what you need and don't need until after the baby. Max slept in our room for the first six months, so his room was technically unfinished until we actually moved him into his room. We didn't have a coffee table in the living room until last week (max is 18 months) haha. The 3 things that I used the most (furniture wise) in the first 6 moths were a pack 'n play, car seat and a bouncy seat.

Linz said...

That IS great advice! And I'm sure when my turn comes, I'll be wondering the same things!!

Just think about how few things are parents had when we were babies! A lot of parents back in the day didn't have a basinette or changing station, they had a crib that was handed down and the floor was the changing station! And I bet a mama's arms are even better than a baby swing!!

Some stuff you won't need right away, so you can wait on that anyway. God will provide. You will have more than what you need and sometimes less than what you want. But how boring would it be if we all had everything we wanted all the time?!?! :)