Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Grail or Fail: Swiffer SweeperVac

I’m going to copy the cutie patootie from Blushing Basics. She does beauty products, but I’m going to do cleaning products.

Our house is a mess. With both of us working full time and hour commutes one way, it’s hard to clean the mess our two 50+ lbs. Boxers create on our tile floors. And whenever I have the baby, whether I get to stay home or have to go back to work, I’m going to need a lot of help cleaning. So I try new cleaning products and appliances all the time.
 
The one brand that I’ve learned isn’t as great as I'd hope is Swiffer. I have the original Swiffer sweeper that worked great for my college apartment bathroom to pick up my long hair, but our house has too much dirt for it to even make a dent. I still use the WetJet mop because it’s easier than a mop and bucket, but I’m not sure exactly how well it cleans the floor. Nevertheless, I decided a few months back to purchase the Swiffer SweeperVac.



The first time I used it, I was pleasantly surprised. But the second time, I swept after using it and realized it didn’t get everything. So I put it up and was only going to use it for small messes.

Then the opportunity arose over the weekend. I dropped my entire thing of loose powder on the bathroom floor. Oh yeah, it was a new canister(?). I turn to my handy dandy sweeper vac. I turn it on, and it dies within 25 seconds. I plugged it in, went to dinner, came back to finish cleaning up the mess. I turned it on, and it dies within 7 seconds. But the few seconds I was able to use it, it picked up diddly squat! It just pushed it around.



What do I do now? Pick it up by hand?! I have a full size vacuum I could use… but I don’t really feel like it. Ah! My hand-held Dirt Devil Scorpion! It has never let me down. Within 30 seconds, the entire mess is cleaned up. I even vacuumed around the baseboards for an extra kick.



And that’s when I realized, old school works. Dirt Devil, broom & dust pan, mop & bucket.

I really want to try the new Scotch Fur Fighter. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree w/ you on the swiffer - they are only good for cleaning really quick before company if you vacuumed a few days before. I do love the scotch fur fighter though! Our cleaning lady buys an off brand one that does the same thing and it works pretty well... i have small dogs though :) Hope all is well with you girl.

-Tara F.

Linz said...

That stinks about the Swiffer! I LOVE my Shark Vac Then Steam Mop!! It takes a while to get dark spots up but I know I won't mop with a regular mop b/c I hate them!

What I love about it the most is that I can vacuum on the wood and tile floors with it, and even on my bathroom floor, perfect for my hairs!